Self Timer mode delays the time between you pushing the shutter button and when the camera actually takes the photo. This lets you position yourself perfectly for your Polaroid photo. There are two different ways to activate a self-timer mode with the OneStep+.
One method which you can do with just the camera in-hand, and another with more flexibility that requires pairing your smartphone via Bluetooth.
photo Britta Burger
photo Harriet Browse
Simple self-timer Method:
As with the OneStep 2, it is possible to use the self-timer function, without connecting Bluetooth or using a phone. To do this, you will need to:
- Turn the camera to the ON position.
- Press the plus (+) button (located beside the lens) two times.
- The plus button will now glow orange. This indicates that the camera is now in self-timer mode.
- Now, set up your shot, and press the shutter button. The camera will count down from 8 seconds, then the camera will take a photo.
Self Timer via Polaroid app:
Self Timer mode allows you to select a custom amount of time (up to 12 seconds) before your camera’s shutter triggers. This method assumes that you already have a OneStep+ and the Polaroid app (if not, read here) and that they are connected (if not, read here).
To enter Self Timer mode:
- Select the topmost menu option within the Polaroid app: ‘OneStep+’
- The screen should now be blue, and indicate that you are now in Remote mode of the Polaroid app
- Swipe right, moving between shooting modes, until the screen is orange and reads Self Timer at the top of the screen
- The large button on the bottom left of your smartphone screen will now act as a remote trigger for your OneStep+
- To adjust the length of the countdown, between 1-12 seconds, simply move your finger around the dial / wheel in the middle of the screen. This is the length of time that will elapse between when you press the shutter button on your phone, and the camera actually taking the photo
The shutter button will become unavailable to you in Self Timer mode if you have no film in the camera, or if the camera is charging the flash (this only takes a few seconds).
Instances where you might find the self-timer mode useful include:
- Taking self-portraits
- Group photos
The below photos are examples taken on the OneStep+ with Self Timer mode…
photo Harriet Browse
Some extra tips to get you started:
- Your smartphone screen will countdown the remaining seconds in big numbers, letting you know exactly when the photo is going to be taken
- You can cancel the countdown at any time, just press your phone’s shutter button again or turn your camera to the OFF position.